Monday, February 6, 2017

Post 6: Eroticism and Music

Metamorphoses and The Wife of Bath's tale were focused on sexual relations and desires. The song "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails reminded me of Alisoun's sexual affairs, promiscuity and her multiple marriages. The song is very straight forward when it comes to her erotic experiences throughout the tale. In The Wife of Bath's tale, Alisoun speaks of God and even quotes some of the bible scripture. For example, Alisoun makes the statement, "Tell me also, for what purpose were members of procreation made, and made in such a perfect manner? Trust well, they were not made for nothing (p. 29)." She's stating that God wants us to engage in sexual relations for a reason. In the song Closer, it has a verse which says, "My whole existence is flawed, You bring me closer to God". This relates to how God is brought up throughout the stories and the ways religion was used to justify the sexual actions and relations that occur through the stories.

Help me, I broke apart my insides 
Help me, I've got no soul to sell 
Help me, the only thing that works for me
Help me get away from myself 
(Closer by Nine Inch Nails)



No comments:

Post a Comment