Monday, January 23, 2017

Post 2: Creation Stories and The World Around Us

When I think of creation stories I imagine how humans came to this Earth and how we got here. I thought it was quite interesting to read all of the creation stories Professor Hamon posted for us. It was unique to see the differences and similarities in each story. A lot of the stories contained similar themes, such as good vs. evil, discrimination, condemnation against women, and light versus darkness. As a child, I was only aware of Genesis and the creation story that the Bible told us, so that's all I could ever imagine. But, as I've gotten older I realize that many different cultures have their own version of how Man came to Earth. In the Four Creations Story, "Spider Woman made all the plants, the flowers, the bushes, and the trees. Likewise she made the birds and animals, again using earth and singing the Creation Song." Obviously, this is from a much different perspective then my own. But, it did make me stop and think about how creation stories can give us all a sense of cause and meaning. It helps us shape how the world came into place. The creation stories made me stop and think about how not everyone views the world as I do. "Eventually, however, they began to divide, both the people from the animals and the people from each other, as they focused on their differences rather than their similarities (Four Creation Stories)." This example brings me back to my original view of creation because when it shows how humans were separated from animals and such. But, then I always ponder back to the thought of how God himself came to be and how he got here himself. I am twenty two years old and still have so much more to learn about this life we are living.

“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”  (Genesis 1:1)
Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/bible-verses-about-creation-1-quotes-to-study/#ixzz4WcPzFnaI 

No comments:

Post a Comment